It is blackberry season here in Australia, and it is a daily practice of mine to go for an early morning walk to harvest the sweet juicy fruit on the vines growing around town. Even through the blackberry bush is a noxious weed here, I am (perhaps a little selfishly) grateful that i get to pick this amazing little fruit for free, and show my children how to harvest natures bounty when you find. There is a lot to be said for picking fruit from nature. It is not just about the actual enjoyment, the berry stained hands or the connection to where our food grows- but the deliberate attention to picking food from where it comes from in order to cut down on plastic waste. It blows me away how easily we pick up a punnet of berries (for example) from the supermarket over taking 10 minutes to pick them from our fence out the front.
I hope you enjoy this simple yet delicious recipe. All of the ingredients should already be in your pantry, but you can substitute blackberries for whatever berry you have on hand.
For the cupcakes
1/2 cup soy milk (or preferred plant based milk)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup light-flavoured oil
3/4 cup coconut sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup (125g) plain flour
1/3 cup raw cacao powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
50g vegan butter
1/2 cup powdered, organic sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup blackberries
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Line a 6 muffin tray with patty pans.
2. In a small mixing bowl, mix milk and vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes to create a buttermilk. Once thickened, add oil, sugar and vanilla and whisk to combine. Ste aside.
3. In a second, large mixing bowl sift in dry ingredients. Mix well, then pour in wet ingredients. Fold until it just comes together then spoon into patty pans until 3/4 full. Bake for 16-20 mins, or until an inserted skewer comes out with only a few crumbs.
4. Allow cupcakes to cool 5 mins before turning onto a wire rack. Allow to cool completely before icing.
5. MAKE BUTTERCREAM. add all ingredients to a small mixing bowl. Using an electric beater, whip for a few minutes or until light and fluffy. Pipe onto cold cupcakes and enjoy!